Wednesday, January 25, 2006

You gotta use your own brain.

BattleCobra90000 writes:

Getting a new microwave oven is an exciting event for any young family. Our last 'wave had dead keys (for example, the number 5) and took what seemed like hours to heat up a measly stick of butter. Enter Goliath. Not only is he more powerful than his predecessor, he's more "intelligent." I put "intelligent" in "quotes" to indicate that maybe he's not such a smarty after all.

I put a warm cup of coffee in our new oven, select "Reheat," and press "3" for "Beverage, 1-3 servings." I'm well within operating parameters here: I don't want to heat my beverage, just re-heat it. My 10 ounces of coffee seems well within the range of 1-3 servings. I'm confident. I press "Start." I wait.

Then something goes off in my head. "Wow, it's been in there a long time." I turn around just in time to see brown lava erupting from my cup. Goliath has boiled my coffee! That's not smart! That's stupid!

Stupid Goliath—from now on, I'm using my own brain.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

And have you seen the microwaves that know what you're cooking in them? You wave a scanner pen over the barcode of the frozen entree thing, and the machine knows! This "convenience" (scanning vs. pushing a couple buttons) comes at a steep price: you are putting a machine in charge. This is never the right thing to do.

Never!

2/05/2006 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never - ever - buy a microwave oven. They're just not smart...no no no.

5/29/2006 4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home